Sunday, February 02, 2003

It's been too many days without something new. So, here's something that is most likely new to you, even though I wrote it in February and July of 2002. The second part is a work-in-progress... a snapshot of a conversation that never happened to me, but darn well could have. I don't know where it came from. Enjoy.
--------

Does a series of events related in detail describe and give form to the individual? Or just paint a picture of a subject without character surrounded by character the likes of which he or she will never possess?

**********

“I’m sorry, I just can’t deal with you anymore. This has to stop. We can’t keep living this...this...lie!”
“It’s about the lint in my navel, isn’t it? I can clean it, I swear! Just don’t go!”
“What the hell are you talking about? Is something living in your bellybutton? Honestly, i don’t care if that’s true or not...I just can’t live with YOU anymore. Do you understand me? Of course you don’t. If you understood me, we wouldn’t have to have this conversation, now would we?”
“I can change. What do you want me to do? I’ll do it. For you. Just give me a chance to prove it.”
“That’s just the point, though. You shouldn’t have to change to suit my tastes, to satisfy my whims. Be your own person for once. Stand up for yourself. You’re not afraid to be by yourself are you? Be a man, not some cowardly lion. If you could think about yourself a little more, you might be able to satisfy someone else as well.”
“I’m not afraid to be myself, I just don’t particularly care for it all that much. If I wanted to be alone, I would live in the desert and never bathe, and subsist solely on Funyons and Mountain Dew.”
“Are you talking about being alone, or dying before you hit 40? I just can’t communicate with you anymore. It’s like you’re speaking a different language.”

No comments: